Tuesday, January 02, 2007

This is an interesting on article on some basics to get started.
Web Worker Daily Blog on Going Commando

What do I like: Most everything! She talks about the basics. I cannot agree enough with the need for a wireless headpiece to walk around. It has saved my keister so many times to be able to put the phone on mute while I answer the door and sign for a package while in a virtual meeting.

Ms. Sohn is correct to have an online social network. It can get very lonely at first, and you may find yourself wandering from room to room. I would play music loudly until I built up my network full of current and former coworkers and clients. By the same token, try to focus on a task until you're done, otherwise, you might be continually checking email. (yeah, did that too)

What I disagree with: Two things.

Ms. Sohn suggests using an internet phone like Skype or Vonage and no one uses plain old telephone anymore. Well, that works great while the power is on. I have used a cell phone for my business line for 7 years, I will confess up. I would not trust the internet to handle regular phone service because I have lost power at most inconvenient times. Or worse, the internet service goes down! For this, I'd recommend having a plain old telephone and a plain old modem to dial up and continue working. Obviously, you can't recieve or call out on a VOIP over modem.

Secondly, the professional support. Yes, you'll need to be a solid project manager to know when you need to park it in front of your computer to finish the work. One of my driving reasons why I telework is so I can be flexible and be a part of my daughter's life. And I was able to get out to lunch with my mother more when she was dying of esophogeal cancer. I think the key here is "balance." You can't be so flexible that the work doesn't get done (I did have that problem too); however, don't be so rigid that you might as well be punching a clock in a cubicle farm.

1 Comments:

At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My only comment is that you need to post more often. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home