Wednesday, August 23, 2006

I found two good links talking about two important issues when you telecommute.

The first is geared towards everyone. Do you say if you work from home or not? Read This Entrepreneur Magazine Article discussing how to appropriately network. It's probably not the first thing you want to point out if you're a business owner. If you work for another company, it doesn't seem to add much to the conversation either. On teh flip side, I knew people who wanted to advocate their work at home status in order to gain visibility on to it and make telecommuting more mainstream.

The second is geared towards mothers who own their own businesses. Read This MSNBC Article on the word Momprepreneur. This is interesting as some women want to be considered Entrepreneurs only, and others are proud of the fact that they're work at home moms.

So how are these connected? It's all about perception. I was a work at home mom and found when I was vocal about it, I didn't get the contract. When I presented myself as a business owner out of my own office, I got a lot more contracts. It's not fair, it's not pretty, it just is. I had dreams at one point of changing the world by holding firm to my ideals and educating everyone that I met about how much more productive and fulfilled my life was by being a work at home mom. (it is, but I don't need to convince you of that) Now that I'm older and wiser, I realize that it's more important to get the work and earn the respect and model what you hope the world will eventually achieve. Or something like that.

What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home